Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Month after Returning

Okay. It doesn't really seem like it never happened, but it could soon. That is always the most disappointing part of a wonderful experience -- it becomes the past. I guess when there are things you don't want to remember (like childbirth or pain from an accident) it's not a bad deal but when it is something you want to keep fresh and alive, this human process can leave you too distant. I loved the experience of traveling--of meeting people, seeing different cultures, tasting new spices, smelling unique smells, and hearing the various languages all at once. Now that I'm back, I'm a bit bored. I still have plenty of things to do (work, exercise, organize, etc.) but they seem a bit routine at the moment.

As I reflect, I'm pleased with the opportunity I had and wonder what it would be like to live in a different culture for a longer period of time. I'm imagining that I might miss the many people I care about, but I think it might take awhile before that would seem awful. I guess I didn't really get lonely much this summer. Of course, it helped having Cody, Setare, Cheryl, and Marat to spend time with while there. I think you build a network where ever you are (as Cheryl has done).

The things I'm left wondering: can I truly learn a new language? would I grow disillusioned with the various cultural realities? would I feel older? younger? lonely? sad? does requiring women NOT to cover just become another controlling entity? where next shall I go.

If you have answers to these questions -- let me know. Thanks for reading my blog and I will return when I have more to say.

2 comments:

  1. Meri...I loved following your blog and wished I could have traveled with you again on part of your great adventure. I too know the feeling of being back home, the let down, and missing the busy schedules of traveling and seeing and doing. Most of us don't have the financial means to take vacations as often as we would like. In between trips I read the Travel Magazines and National Geographic (the pictures are beautiful) so I can escape to other places. There are some fun movies to see as well. I just watched "My Life in Ruins" which was not the best movie but it was set in Greece and you get to take the tour all over again. You can always relive your travels by writing a book. Your blog is a great story to get published. I've also learned that not everyone cares about travel stories so surround yourself with others who love to go to other countries so you can share your experiences with those who have the same passion. Go out to eat in ethnic restaurants and taste the foods that will take you back. It's not the same as being there but almost. Love Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great recommendations! I'm also going to create a couple of calendars using the pictures we took. One will be scenery and the other will show more people.

    Thanks for staying connected during this adventure AND for publishing the book of our original european trip in such a timely manner. It gave me much to reflect about yet also kept me grounded during this 9 weeks. Funny how things are so similar, yet so different.

    ReplyDelete